Your roof has to withstand a lot of abuse from Mother Nature. The torrents of severe weather can take a toll on your current roof; especially when your roof is getting older. If you experience a severe hail storm, you may be wondering if your roof can hold up and come out of the storm unscathed. Montgomery Construction & Roofing is here to talk about hail storms and how they can affect your roof.
Can Hail Damage a Roof?
The answer to this question is, it depends. There are some hail storms that are severe enough that they do end up causing significant damage. They can even cause enough damage that you need to have your roof completely replaced. It all depends on how big the hail is, how long the storm lasts and what condition your roof is in prior to the storm.
What Can Hail Do to Shingles?
There are different ways that hail storms can cause damage to your roof. It could be one or even all of the examples listed below.
– Shingle Granule Loss: When hail makes contact with your shingles, you can see granule loss at those points of impact. Depending on the amount of granule loss that takes place, you may looking at significant damage that ends up causing complete replacement. If the asphalt coating is exposed, you can’t simply throw more granules on some asphalt cement.
– Cracks in Shingles: Sometimes where the hail meets the shingles, there are cracks that radiate outward. This is more likely to happen when there are also high winds along with the hail.
– Exposed Fiberglass Mat: There are also times when the impact from the hail will cause the granule asphalt surfacing will separate from the fiberglass mat.
– Fiberglass Mat Fractures: Hail can cause the fiberglass mat to fracture. A lot of the time these fractures aren’t visible and the damage becomes more prevalent as the roof ages.
– Self-Seal Shingle Strip Damage: This damage is also damage that you can’t always see right away. When this self-seal strip is loosened, it may cause shingles to blow off in future storms.
Can You Replace Shingles Without Replacing the Whole Roof?
You may be thinking that it would be easy to simply replace shingles that have sustained damage after a hail storm. While you can do that, it isn’t recommended. This is a short term fix for a long term problem. It is recommended that the roof is replaced when hail damage is prevalent because there is so much damage that often happens that you can’t see.
Roof Installation, Replacement & More in Hillsboro, Mexia, Belton, Killeen, Temple, Harker Heights, Copperas Cove, Austin, Plugerville, Round Rock, Georgetown, Leander, Cedar Park, Kyle, San Marcos & Greater Waco, TX
If you have experienced roof damage due to hail storms, it is important that you get to work to replace your roof if the damage is extensive. At Montgomery Construction & Roofing, we provide exceptional roof replacement services to ensure your home is completely protected the next time you experience severe weather and even hail storms. Don’t hesitate to call us today!